I love Instagram, but it definitely does have its highs and lows. You lose followers like there is no tomorrow. I was recently offline for a good week and I lost over 160 followers because of this and I KNOW, it is so easy to say “Why do you even care about the numbers?” but if you are someone like me, who is trying to create a business through their instagram and is trying to succeed in something they enjoy doing, it isn’t as easy done. I am sure that if you are a regular instagram uploader then you will know how hard it can be sometimes. You see people gaining followers like crazy, you see people getting amazing engagement and you feel like yours sucks.. honestly it is so frustrating, especially when you put a lot of time and effort into your feed. Personally for me it has always been about the engagement rather than the amount of followers, especially because most people on instagram buy their followers and it isn’t authentic, it’s just false and just a way of cheating the system.
“In a world where social media is so big, it does get harder and harder.”
So rewind a good 6 months ago. I was uploading quite regularly on my feed and was active on my stories aswell. I was getting a range from anywhere between 170 – 300 likes on a picture..
And although this is great don’t get me wrong, I just felt like I was always disappointed with the amount of engagement in general. I currently have 3,760 followers and to me that is a great amount of people, but I didn’t feel like this was reflected through my likes and engagement on my pictures. I have always put a lot of work into my instagram feed (my editing has just become much better, LOL) but I felt like I wanted more. I don’t think there is anything with wanting more, it is so understandable especially with all of the other competitors out there. I definitely felt like over time, this started to become something I felt very insecure about. In a world where social media is so big, it does get harder and harder.
One day I just remember feeling so fed up and annoyed with myself. I found myself obsessively scrolling through instagram just feeling so..in a way jealous of these other bloggers who have an amazing following with amazing engagement. I made a couple of notes and decided that I wanted to change up the content that I was posting as I felt like I was just posting “the same shit different day” kind of content, do you ever feel like that??
Fast forward to today, which as I am writing I am writing this (17th May), oooops! as I am editing this it is the 25th June! this post was supposed to go up ages ago!
As you can see there is a great improvement with regards to the likes on my pictures which means that the insights for each individual picture have gone up drastically. So, comments, saves, profile visits, amount of times my pictures have been shared.
I have clocked that it is actually so simple and this boils down to a couple of things..
1) You HAVE (and I repeat) have to be SUPER active. If you aren’t consistent people will get bored. They will see that you aren’t active and haven’t uploaded for a couple of days / weeks and so they will unfollow you. By being active it means that people will constantly be seeing your content, which is what you want.
- Be active on your instagram stories. Create cool videos for your stories, be quirky and put effort into your stories as well as your feed pictures. Talk on your stories, this is very good because people see the person behind the instagram.
- Make a conscious effort to engage in other peoples content.
- Try to upload between 3/5 times a week.
2) Get involved in PODS and telegrams. These are amazing for consistent engagement. If you don’t know what that is, it is basically groups where you engage in other peoples content and you receive it back. There are so many different pods and telegrams out there. I currently have my own telegram if you are looking to join, the more the merrier – https://t.me/joinchat/JQrn9hbt4zzxEO66h7ESSA
- You will discover new instagram accounts that you never knew existed. – alot of new followers. This is also amazing because you get inspired by the accounts.
- A great way to make new friends. If you involved in pods / telegrams you will make friends and the support is really good.
- You are putting yourself out there and ultimately more people will probably view your account, which is good.
3) Get involved in Facebook groups. I feel like this one is very underrated. Facebook groups have helped me so much with engagement.
- You meet amazing people and discover new instagram accounts.
- Exposing your instagram to alot more people, especially because on facebook I think that is a different audience in comparison to instagram.
- You can share your Instagram account / latest pictures and you get so much support on it.
- Might be groups for bloggers in your area AKA for me – Kent Bloggers which is amazing for me to meet people in my area.
My favourite Facebook groups- Instagram Engagement and Promotion, Influencers on Instagram, Insta Engagement Pod and Instagram Engagement Boost.
4) Use Hashtags. Hashtags are brill!
- It makes your pictures fall under that hashtag category, meaning that it is most likely going to be seen by more people and by people browsing that hashtag.
- There are so many different types of hashtags, but I have found that the hashtags that work the most are the ones that aren’t the most popular. If you are using hashtags that have millions of other people using that hashtag too, then the chances of your picture being seen is small. Using hashtags that have a couple of hundreds of other people using it, are the best ones to use.
- If brands are looking for bloggers to collaborate with, they might browse hashtags.
My favourite ones that I use for my instagram –
Makeup related – #makeuploversunite #makeupblogger #makeupaddict #makeuplovers_inspo #beautyblogger (always hashtag the makeup brand)
Fashion related – #highstreetfashion #highstreetstyle #fashionblogger #fashionphoto #fashionobsessed (always tag the fashion brand)
Lifestyle related – #instadaily #lifestyleguide #lovinglife #lifestyleblogger #lifestyleblog #blogginglife #blogginggals #flatlay (i like to use #kentbloggers or #ukblog / #ukbloggers, because people might want to discover other bloggers in the same area)
Baking / food related – #foodie #bakingblogger #foodgram #bakingfun #foodography (if the food is related to a certain season e.g Christmas, use Christmas hashtags too.)
Travel – #travelwithme #travelblogger #travelling #traveltheworld #travelblogger #travelcommunity (use hashtags relating to the location of where you are)
5) Post on the CORRECT days and at CORRECT times – I think alot of people overlook this one. I have narrowed it down to the best times and times to upload (maybe a little too precise) and this is just what works for me, it might be different for you. It is so important to get it right because you want your picture to get the credit it deserves.
T H E B E S T D A Y S & T I M E S
Either morning time 8:30AM or evening 7PM onwards
Evenings 7PM onwards
Evenings 7PM onwards
Evenings 7PM onwards
Either morning time around 8:30AM or afternoon around 1PM. Never in the evening
Afternoon around 1/2PM – Never in the evening.
Sunday evening, between 7-9PM
(if it is a normal week) I always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS! post in the evenings. you will never really see me posting in the mornings because they just don’t do as well as in the evenings. A great time I think to post is after 7pm, but before 11pm. I try to avoid posting on Friday and Saturday evenings as they just don’t do well, people aren’t on their phones as they are either getting ready to go out or are enjoying their weekend.
I hope this post has helped you in some way. Like I said, this is what works best for me and what I find successful when it comes to engagement on my instagram. The last thing I will say is, you HAVE to put the work in. You create content for instagram, it doesn’t stop there you have to put the work in to get the engagement… it is as simple as that. I would love to know if you use any of these and if they work for you. My messages are always open if you want to drop me a message!