– LIFESTYLE –
For some of us (myself included) I find it hard to keep myself motivated to go to the gym. I end up going for about a week and then I lose motivation, maybe because I don’t see a difference straight away. But it is important to know that these things take time, and the quicker the results the quicker you will lose shape. I have been going to the gym properly for about 2 years now. I used to go when I was like 16/17 but I never took it seriously, until I started to get older and more wiser when it came to the equipment. Some people don’t go to the gym, and that is completely fine. If you are someone who is similar to me and loves going to the gym, but struggles to keep going, then I hope this post is for you 🙂
Why is it important go to the gym?
I feel like a lot of people will know the answer to this question, but I am going to answer it anyway. Going to the gym is essential in order to either keep your body in shape or try to shape your body up. We have these bodies forever, therefore why not make the best out of it? Not only is it good for your body, but also for your skin and mind. The sweat from the gym will get rid of any dirt in your pores, which is good BECAUSE WHO WANTS BLACK HEADS NOW? which will leave you feeling more confident. Clearing your mind is also something major when going to the gym, as you are taking time out of your day to work on your body, but also giving yourself some time to think while working out. A lot of the time we don’t realise how much stuff we might have on our minds, until you are in a position to focus on yourself, then we start to realise. Lastly, there are a lot of health benefits which most people forget about. Working out strengthens your heart and allows the heart to pump more effectively and strengthening your muscles reduces risks of accidents.
These are just some of the ways that I try to keep myself motivated for the gym.
How to keep motivated?
- Set yourself goals
– Where do you want to be in a couple of weeks/months?
– What exactly do you want to do? lose weight? tone up? or just start exercising?
– Make sure they are realistic goals, as if you aim too high and don’t achieve that goal then you might lose confidence.
– Set goals that are relevant to your life right now, not anyone else..
– Have an end date, “By 15th July I will have lost 10 pounds” this will keep you motivated and also if you love a challenge this one is great!
- Wear nice gym outfits
– This one helps me so much! I feel more confident when I know what I am wearing for gym looks nice, obviously I don’t turn up to gym with loads of makeup on, but I do like to feel confident in what I am wearing. This will also make you want to go more times as you will feel so much more confident wearing your gym clothes and looking the BOMB!
- Eating healthy as much as working out
– It is extremely important to know that you won’t see a difference just from going to the gym, you HAVE to have a healthy balanced diet aswell. This is something that I wish I told my younger self, when I was rocking up to the gym and eating whatever crap I liked and working out and not seeing a difference.
– Eat new healthy foods that you never thought about eating. I recently am obsessed with carrot sticks and humus! I have also discovered how to incorporated more seeds into my meals and they are great. Try making yourself healthy smoothies, mix some fruit and spinach together and you will be good to go!
– 5 + more fruit or veg a day. I try to have as many as I can a day. I find that the more colourful the meal the better it is for you and no I don’t mean the full English breakfast, I am talking about the salads, the porridge with fruits, the rice with peppers, spinach and mushrooms!
- Create a rocking play list / catch up with your latest episodes
– Listening to music at the gym is something I can’t go without, the songs that I listen to keep me pumping and motivated. Listen to songs that you know you can sing along to, ones that have a nice upbeat tune or even the ones that help you clear your mind.
– I would be lying if I said I didn’t want Netflix while on the running machine or that I didn’t watch Broadchurch and Youtubers while on the bike. This is such a great way to take your mind off the fact that you are even exercising. I love watching these while I am working out, as I am catching up on the latest programmes and also breaking a sweat.
- Get a workout partner
– If you can find a partner that is going to come to the gym with you, then that is great. If you can both have a great workout session and have a little chatter, this definitely keeps me motivated to go, if I know I am going with someone else.
- Lastly, try to find new exercises with the equipment or even sign up to classes
– Trying out new gym equipment is good, as you feel like you have taken another step. Look online at how to use certain equipment in different ways if you are struggling. If you are getting bored with the equipment then look to join some classes. I went to a class called ‘Legs, Bums & Tums’ and it killed me! it was such a good class, and they are even better if you can go with somebody. If not, go by yourself!
Even if you can’t go to the gym, there is no reason why you can’t work out at home. Grab a workout DVD and go for a long jog, especially with this weather at the moment in the UK (even though it won’t last long) Either way, you will see the benefits of working out as your skin will be better and also you will feel better about your body. Being body confident is great as everyone deserves to feel confident in their body and working out even for 30 mins a day will benefit so you, just wait and see!